16 March 2009

A Father's Love

Katie and I had the opportunity to celebrate the lives of some really good friends/family at their surprise wedding anniversary. Jeff and Criss graced my life a year ago September. Jeff, a retired youth minister, is one of our hospital's chaplains, and Criss works in accounting for a local college. I have been in town for 7 1/2 years, and I could not say how many people would celebrate a milestone with me. I have a good idea from the blessings poured out by good friends and family at baby showers, but I honestly cannot say that I have touched nearly as many lives as I wish I would.

Jeff and Criss' daughter Kayla is a college student in a neighboring state, and their son Logan is an overseas soldier. Prior to last week, I had not met Logan, but I felt as if I knew him. Every possible opportunity, Jeff and Criss prayed over him and his fellow soldiers overseas. I, as do many Americans, tend to forget about our soldiers unless we know someone personally touched by their missions.

Kayla and Logan hosted the anniversary party at Jeff and Criss' church with the cover of a service to honor Jeff for a recent award he had received. Unknown to Jeff and Criss; Kayla, Logan (stateside due to shore leave he had accrued), Jeff's parents, and Criss' parents waited in the reception hall of the church as Jeff wa the honored guest of a "cover" service. The service never seemed to end, and we thought Jeff might be lifting up Logan and the other soldiers in prayer, not knowing his son was in the same building with him. Following the service, the congregants (who were ALL aware of the secret reception) rushed to the reception hall and awaited Jeff and Criss.

When they rounded the corner to the reception area, Jeff and Criss were surprised to find Kayla, Jeff's parents, and Criss' parents all awaiting them. They were unaware that any of these people were in town. After Jeff and Criss greeted the surprise guests, Kayla gave a speech honoring her parents; tears were plentiful from all those present. Then, the room grew silent as Kayla carefully unfolded a letter Logan had sent her for the occassion. She read it as Jeff and Criss cried plentiful tears. Kayla then said that Logan had sent a special gift from the military, as a unit flag was passed through the crowd to Jeff and Criss. At this point, Jeff spoke about how he remembered his son daily and how God has blessed him with two wonderful children. He sobbed greatly as he spoke. At this point, Logan shouted, "Let's get this party shouted," from his hiding place in the back of the room. My mind freezes on the image of his parents when they realized their son, was was "supposed to be" thousands of miles away, was now less than 100 feet from them.

I had never seen such love as I had at that moment. This was last week, and I still get teary-eyed while writing this blog. That is the love I want to share with my son... a love that can be felt halfway around the world. The difference in the love Jeff and Logan share is that distance and difficulty of communication are not enough to separate father and son. They just understand each other and love each other for who he is. I do not know now whether I can achieve this. This most closely resembles God's love to me, and I will be a great father if I can only mirror a small portion of this with my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment