04 January 2009

Day Off

Today was a waste... or was it? Last night, I lay in bed until about midnight reading Dan Brown's book Angels and Demons. It is intriguing. I woke up this morning around 9:45. Katie had just come back to bed and wanted to lay next to me. She had not been very comfortable lately, so sleeping has been a bear. We are now officially 2 days overdue. Not a big problem, but the doctor may see a problem with that since Katie has gestational diabetes. This morning, Katie lay on the bed with her head resting on my shoulder. She slept, I enjoyed her being so near. When she woke up and left, I slept. Around 12:50, I finally woke up to enjoy the day.

These days have been beautiful but blistery. I am not a cold-natured person. On days like this, I enjoy sipping tea, doing a puzzle, and watching TV. Thank you, Tom Bergeron, for all the funny videos I can enjoy mindlessly. This is the first Sunday in over a month that we have missed church. I figured it was risky but doable. As I expected, my pastor called mid-day to see if there was a baby. There was not, as usual.

That was not the first question regarding the welcoming of my child. In fact, Katie and I finally silenced anything that looked like a phone in an attempt to enjoy these last few days together. We do not have Caller ID, so I have not been able to experiment with this before. However, I quickly realized that people attempt the home phone first then try each of our cell phones. Oh my! On top of the baby questions, we also fielded many calls from family about a close relative who has recently dealt with an old run-in with the law. Life has dealt some odd events our way lately, but the future looks bright. The next time I post, we will have a baby boy. That may be tomorrow, or it may be next week.

A Prayer:
[From The Book of Common Worship, Prayer #509]

Eternal God,
the hours of both day and night are yous,
and to you the darkness is no threat.
Be present, we pray,
with those who labor in these hours of night,
especially those who watch and work on behalf of others.
Grant them diligence in their watching,
faithfulness in their service,
courage in danger,
and competence in emergencies.
Help them to meet the needs of others
with confidence and compassion;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment